Saturday, July 25, 2009

Lagunitas Hop Stoopid

Imperial/Double IPA
8% ABV

Why? - I've tried a few different Lagunitas (pronounced LAH-goo-NEE-tus) products like Hairy Eyeball, Brown Shugga (a personal favorite), Pils, etc...and really enjoyed them all. I'm also a hophead so I figured there's nothing wrong with getting a little "Stoopid" with hops. So when I saw this guy at my local store I picked it up plus I always need more 22 oz bottles to bottle my homebrews anyways.

Look - A pretty strong gold color with a nice thick head, and the foam stuck around for a while which is always fun. 9/10

Smell - My first sniff was that of citrusy hops (surprise!), grapefruit was my first thought...but after that the citrusy smell went away, replaced by a dark chocolate smell. I'd expect this from a porter or stout with dark malts, but it surprised me from this Imperial IPA, so that was a little odd. 6.75/10

Mouth Party - The initial hop bitterness was strong, just as I expected, lots of bubbles, the mouth was loving it. Then as a few minutes went by and I had a few more sips, that dark chocolate came around again! This time it brought some raspberry along with it. While it didn't taste bad, it wasn't what I expected. Does that deserve a lower score? Hmmm... 6.5/10

Perno's Score: 5.2 (80% weighted on taste) + 1.01 (15% nose) + .45 (5% eyes) = 6.7 / 10

1 comment:

  1. This is def an interesting one from Lagunitas. What would you say your fav Double IPA would be?

    ReplyDelete